Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Do weddings create Marthas out of Marys?

It's pretty common knowledge that I (Sa-Ma) am a busy person.  I like to be busy, I like to be involved in.. things, and be on the go!  Josh isn't quite the same.  He likes to have maybe 2 things on his plate at once and that's all.  It's just a difference in our personalities.  I admit that since Josh and I've been together, I've pushed quite a few things off of my plate.  Our relationship is important to me and being able to give ample amounts of time to is key.  :)

People ask us a lot "How is the wedding planning going?" but few ask us how our marriage planning is going.  It seems to me, that one often gets in the way of the other.  

Wedding planning is a busy, busy thing.  I think Martha of the New Testament would probably be good at it.  We meet Martha in the book of Luke, chapter 10.

Jesus has come to visit Martha and her sister, Mary.  Mary is sitting at the feet of Jesus, listening to all He has to say and just soaking up all she could from him.  Martha is rushing around, getting food out, making sure things are clean (maybe even extra clean?), and trying to throw a great welcome party.  

Martha soon gets overwhelmed and starts asking, "Why isn't Mary helping me?!"  Jesus tells Martha that only one thing in life is needed (Him) and that Mary has chosen it and all of Martha's rushing and preparing means nothing in the end.  

It's true.  How many parties do you remember all the details from?  How many wedding memories do you have?  Josh and I are certain that we won't remember a thing from Jack's sermon that we've hired our friend Kyle to video it for us.    

However, I bet if you're a Believer, you remember that time when God met you when you were low and feeling worthless.  Or when you decided to give your heart to Him and life a life that glorifies Him.  I bet you can't forget your "burning bush moments" or the times you saw Jesus and got to know Him better through the life of someone else.  

It's Josh and my hope that our wedding is wonderful but that our marriage is AMAZING!.  All the wedding planning, it's just Martha-ness.  We need to be Marys, sit at the feet of Jesus and let Him teach us what a real marriage is.  

John 15:13,  greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friend (partner, bride, husband, wife, sister, brother, neighbor).  

Lord help us lay down our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post so much. Thank you for sharing that thought and reminder. Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in all the details. But, it's funny because the legacy the day will leave is a marriage. I can't say that I know a lot about my parents wedding, but I know very much about their marriage. It's a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete